This term’s Parent Forum was held on Monday and thank you for any feedback that you provided to your representatives. The minutes will be published on the website soon but, in the meantime, here is a summary of what was discussed…
- Traffic and Road Safety – ongoing discussions about how to improve road safety at pick-up and drop off times. We will investigate the possibility of yellow lines being placed outside the school and also look at the suggestion to create a ‘walking bus’ with parent volunteers.
- A few cars have been leaving engines running outside the school gates and we will soon share an article about the effect that this has on the environment and health.
- Pick ‘n’ Mix – we have received feedback about the amount of plastic and portion size/content. The school will raise the concerns with Edwards & Blake and will visit other primary schools to see how their plastic-free Pick ‘n’ Mix works. A hardcopy of the menu will be in every class to help the children decide whether they choose Pick ‘n’ Mix or Hot Dinners.
- Academy status – the school will send a communication soon about progress.
- Swimming for Y5 & Y6 – the decision about not swimming at the Deben was raised and Mr Krisson explained that he is in discussion with other school Headteachers about the provision at the Deben swimming pool.
- RSPB Wild Challenge – it was suggested that this may be a good pursuit for the children and the school will discuss the scheme with our Forest School leaders.
- Residentials – the timing of the residentials was discussed along with the recent Y5 trip and the children’s reluctance to sleep at a reasonable time. The school has taken on board comments and suggestions.
- Parent Mail /School Gateway app – office management are looking into the benefits of these systems and will liaise with other schools to receive insight.
- Use of ‘jargon’ on termly targets etc. The school will look into creating a ‘Jargon Buster’ and targets will be checked by the Communications Assistant before being sent to parents to ensure that the terminology is clear.
- PE kits in F2 – next year the school will explain to the new intake that they will probably not use PE kits until the Spring Term.
- Willow Garden – more flexible time slots. The school will look into the financial and administrative viability of creating different time slots for Willow Garden users.